About Me

My photo
Beijing, Wangjing, China
I set this blog up as a way to express myself creatively through my writing. I am a 'long distance' member of a writing group in Somerset called "Works in Progress" I am currently working on my first & second novels (simultaneously), along with multiple short stories, poems, and even a childrens story or two....which is very interesting...you know...all those voices talking at once!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

Well...it is that time of year again. Time to plant your butt in that chair, turn on the computer, and create that masterpiece novel you swear is inside of you!

Okay....even I cannot keep a straight face while writing that! Let me rephase that, using terminology that actually applies.........................................

Well, it is that time again. Time to drag yourself to the computer, force yourself to sit down, and type a whole lot of nonsense in an effort to complete something that sounded like so much more fun than it is actually turning out to be!

Don't get me wrong....I ALWAYS start with the best intentions. I am always very excited and thoroughly motivated to accomplish this task every November. At least I start out that way. Then the 7th of December rolls around and I am looking at 7000-8000 words and wondering...."Where the hell is this story going?"

Of course the month of November explains 2 of the 3 novels I am currently working on.....not counting this new one that just started the beginning of this November! In case you lost count....that will make it 4 almost finished novels I will have to juggle!!

Now I am a week into the novel, with all of these TOTALLY WEIRD people/voices in my head...telling me all of these strange things, and I am trying to figure out how to make it into a story people would be willing to pay money for! (Or at least not want to throw themselves off the nearest skyscaper after reading it!!)

And then there is the feeling that you will never be able to finish the story by the end of the month, and even if you do....does it even make any sense. Now I know the whole point of NaNoWriMo is to inspire you to just commit yourself to time devoted only to writing....no editing allowed...and hopefully create something that you will be able to turn into a coherent novel to be sold at a later date.

Do you even know me???? What do you mean....don't edit? What do you mean....just write what comes to mind???? What do you mean.....just get it out on paper????

Yeah....and why exactly do I have my shrink on speed dial? Oh that's right....I actually signed up, voluntarily, to do this NaNoWriMo thing....with out being forced at the point of a knife. Yeah....that's why they are on speed dial!

But enough ranting and raving...apparently Stormy (the voice in my head who is the main character of this newest...hopefully to actually be finished novel)just found out that the dead body they found in her brother's closet....after he commited suicide....is not the first dead person to have come in contact with him.

Sigh.....this is going to be a long night!

Why can't I ever have voices that talk to me about love and rainbows and unicorns?

No comments:

Post a Comment