About Me

My photo
Beijing, Wangjing, China
I set this blog up as a way to express myself creatively through my writing. I am a 'long distance' member of a writing group in Somerset called "Works in Progress" I am currently working on my first & second novels (simultaneously), along with multiple short stories, poems, and even a childrens story or two....which is very interesting...you know...all those voices talking at once!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobble Gobble Everywhere....But I Don't Have $52.00 To Spare!

So this is our first big holiday in Costa Rica and I have to confess....turkey is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal! The smell of the house filled with turkey and stuffing and potatoes and cookies......yum!!

I'm not one to plan for the Thanksgiving meal...always been a last minute girl with all the turkey arobics in the kitchen sink to loosen its frozen legs....so why change my MO for this year? Big Mistake! Because if I had been paying attention, I would not have had to throw together a makeshift Thanksgiving dinner of steak, roasted potatoes, corn, and cookies. (Cookies ALWAYS make it on the list!)

So 3 days before Thanksgiving....that is a record of preparation for me....and I am standing in the grocery store with Jacob looking for a turkey. We find chicken...we find steak...we find porkchops....we find hamburger.....no turkey! When we finally get to almost the end of the aisles....we find a freezer with turkeys...yay!!

I tell Jacob to open the freezer door and pull out the smallest turkey that is sitting by the door....there are only 3 of us after all....which he does and hands it to me. I realize the turkey is prestuffed as are the other 2 smaller turkeys. Looking back at the freezer I realize that the next smallest turkey would feed an army of 20 so I decide to take the prestuffed one.

As I am getting ready to put it in the cart....I see the price....$52.00!!!! You heard me right....$52.00!

Now I REALLY love turkey and did the math on how much it would cost us per meal...figuring in the sandwiches that follow the next couple of days (I REALLY LOVE THE LEFTOVER TURKEY SANDWICHES!!!) but even I cannot justify a $52.00 turkey. So back in the freezer it goes and we slump our way back to the meat section to pick out some steaks for dinner. What are you going to do?

Now all I have to do is convince Angie, Julie, and Tim that chicken with rice and beans is a totally cool Christmas meal!

Maybe those $52.00 turkeys will be on sale on Black Friday.....wouldn't that be nice??

No comments:

Post a Comment